Thursday 27 August 2009

Ninja's Petting Zoo: Please Don't Feed The Trolls!

My first hunter-related post. It's about time I did something other then Shamans eh? This post is going to look at pets in general and what my favourite pairings are e.g Orc Huntards and Wolf pets. Don't mistake Hunter pets for those vanity pet companions you can get...a Hunter pet is an important part of the Hunter class and to be a Hunter, you must keep your pet alive and happy and always remember that a Hunter is all about being a pair. Let's have a look at what pets there are out there.

The Cunning Pets-These are Utility pets as such...I think of them as a "bag of tricks". They are best for PvP but can be used in instances too.

Bat-Nice 2 sec stun for PvP purposes. In my opinion, more useful than a Ravager. Looks best when paired with an Undead Hunter.
Bird Of Prey-The Disarm skill they have is handy against melee classes. The "eagles" look best with Human Hunters while the "owls" look best when by the side of Nelf Hunters.
Chimaera-If you're BM, this pet is the best PvP pet in my eyes. Looks best when paired with a Dwarf Hunter.
Dragonhawk-Their loss of an AoE attack has meant I don't rate these much anymore. Best pairing would be a Belf Hunter and a Dragonhawk.
Nether Ray-Nice pet for dealing with casters but I'm not a huge fan of them. Best paired with either a Belf or a Draenei.
Ravager-They used to be top notch for BC but sadly, they're ex-dps kings now and not too high on my list. Best to pair one with a Draenei Hunter.
Serpent-This is a pretty snazzy pet for PvP and you could have a nice Viper Sting-Poison Spit combo. Best to pair a Serpent with a Troll Hunter.
Silithid-The other Exotic pet...I just think Chimaera's beat them generally. I also didn't like their ADD nature. Best paired with a Nelf or a Tauren Hunter.
Spider-One of the better choices for Cunning. I also think the Outland/Northrend spideys look awesome. Best to pair one with a Worgen Hunter.
Sporebat-Well, this pet gets a very cool AoE debuff that can be handy for pretty much everything. Best pairing would be with a Belf Hunter.
Wind Serpent-One of my favourite Cunning pets look-wise. It also does nice dps for a Cunning pet too. Best pair would be a Serp and a Troll Hunter.

The Ferocity Pets-These are your dps pets and will probably see the most usage in instances/raids but some are useful for PvP too.

Carrion Bird-I don't really like these look-wise until Outland nor do I find their ability brilliant. Best paired with a Tauren Hunter.
Cat-The pet that you'll see the majority of Hunters using. The "lion" Cat pets are best paired with Orcs and the "tiger" pets are best paired with Nelfs.
Core Hound-One of the Exotics and a pretty useful one too. One of my favourite pets in general. Best paired up with a Worgen hunter.
Devilsaur-One of the best dps pets around providing you're BM. It's best to pair this T-Rex thang with a Troll or a Dwarf.
Hyena-Tendon Rip is a very useful skill for PvP and PvE. I think the best pairing would be a Goblin Hunter and a Hyena.
Moth-It's a shame you can't feed these cloth eh? Moths have a pretty handy ability and all but I could only see a Belf Hunter using these. Every other one would be an amusing pairing.
Raptor-If you're not BM, a Raptor is one of the best choices for dps. The best pairing is a Troll and a Raptor...no-brainer right?
Spirit Beast-Ah, the pets that are hard to find and get for yourself. The only one I'd want is Skoll. Skoll is more suited for an Orc while the other two are best paired with Nelfs.
Tallstrider-Well, Dust Cloud has situational use but I'm not overly keen on these as a pet. It's best to pair them up with a Tauren Hunter.
Wasp-They have a handy Fairie Fire type ability and I reckon they'd be good for PvP. Best to pair up with a Belf or a Human (kinda ironic cause most humans hate wasps in real life).
Wolf-One of the best Ferocity pets around to use (especially if you're not BM). As for pairing, it's a no-brainer...best to pair these up with an Orc.

The Tenacity Pets-These are your tank pets and they will be mainly used for soloing and for dealing with Elite mobs when talented for it.

Bear-Swipe's a pretty handy ability for a Tenacity pet and with Wrath, Bears became a good choice. Best to pair a Bear up with a Dwarf Hunter.
Boar-These used to be tied with Cats for popularity. However, nowadays...they are not so popular. Bless them. It's best to pair a Boar with an Orc or a Troll.
Crab-Their Pin ability is pretty handy and these are a great choice for a tank pet. Best choice for a pair? Goblin Hunter and Crab.
Crocolisk-Bad Attitude is a pretty handy skill. Combine it with Thunderstomp and your Croc is an aggro keeping machine. Best to pair it with an Orc Hunter.
Gorilla-No longer do they reign top as a "Gorilladin". Their Pummel makes them useful against casters but they aren't as great anymore. Best to pair it with a Human.
Rhino-I was sad to see Stampede changed from knockback to what it is now so they're less useful really. Best to pair it with a Dwarf.
Scorpid-I was really enjoying this pet until they nerfed this pet and made it rather useless. Best to pair it with a Troll.
Turtle-Once all Tenacity pets got Thunderstomp, Turtles became very useful cause they can reduce damage and now, they can get aggro easier. Best to pair with a Tauren.
Warp Stalker-Warp's a pretty cool spell really...it's Nightcrawler in a lizard form. With regards to pairs, best to pair this up with a Draenei.
Worm-Acid Spit is a pretty nice ability so if you're BM, this is worth considering as a good pet. Best to pair this up with a Worgen Hunter.

And there's the overview done. You'll notice that I've mentioned Worgen, Goblin, Human and Undead. This is because I can imagine certain pets going really well with those races even though they aren't out yet. I may have to update this if we get given any new pets for Cataclysm. I hope we do. Anyways, next up will be a Blizzcon related post then a post about my Huntard pets and why I have them.

I will end this post by giving some entertaining crab-related links.

CRAB DEMON!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mHKHKR8x6A

Barnaby, kill all the beggars in Ogrimmar!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHOKTVc1gC0&feature=channel_page

I like to pinch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKyY6TIKpuw

Krabby is Full Of Win.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U6hxNuzhaY





1 comment:

  1. To me, a tauren and a wolf seem like a more natural pairing, just because of their related personalities. I could see a worg fitting better with an orc over all. My orc is a hyena girl through and through but a goblin would definitely go with hyenas too.

    And my blood elf has a raptor. >.> They just seem pleasantly ironic to me.

    ReplyDelete

Please insert coin or comment to continue.