Sunday 11 October 2009

Are You Baking Your Best Cake?

The title will make sense, you just have to scroll down to see why. I figured I'd do this post and then get back on to the Hunter related articles. So all you Hunter players, relax. The article will come soon. Honest! This article is going to take a look at when someone leaves a guild with their main but keeps an alt in there and I'll be giving my opinion on the question "Is it right to do this?" and I'll hopefully be seeing some comments answering this too. Let's get to the discussion part then.

I've seen it done before in a few guilds I've been in. A player chooses to leave with their main but keeps their alt or alts in that guild still. Sounds like a harmless thing to do right? I would disagree with that and here's why. Firstly, your main character is the one that you'll go on the most usually. While you may get bored of them and go on alts more, I imagine that you'll still go on that main for dailies and to do endgame fun which means you're removing the character you go on most from the guild but justifing it by saying you'll keep a character in the guild who you go on less. It's like you're no longer going to bake your best cake for them anymore but you'll bake your second best cake when you can find the time.

This leads on to my second point. Your main will probably be the one with the best gear and full professions (unless you're lazy like me) and therefore, be they a tanker, a healbot or a pewpewdps, they have a lot to contribute to the guild in comparison to your alt. By removing your main, it just seems like you're handicapping the guild a little but trying to soothe the blow by saying "No, wait! I've got my alt still guys!" and I don't think it's fair on the guild.

Finally, there's a very big issue with regards to alts that I see happen again and again. I'm not saying everyone does this but it happens frequently enough in my eyes to be a problem. Some players will find a guild with their main that they grow to love and enjoy. As a result, they will probably remove all their alts from the guild they had told "Guys, you still have my alts!" and move them to their new guild. While it seems like you're going back on your word there, it's understandable.

However, there are some people who use the guild to level up their alts and then they remove them. Personally, I think that's really unfair and nasty to the guild because a player is essentially just using that guild for their own means and then discarding them when they have no more use. Now, if you've read all of this article so far, you're probably feeling like I'm coming across as Mister One-Sided. Well, allow me to show you my ability to see the other side! POW!

I can understand why some people remove their mains. Perhaps they can't get into the raiding teams of the guild they're in with the main for whatever reasons or their friends have started a new guild and they want to help them but they don't want to totally abandon the guild so they leave an alt in it to help them still. I just think that the removal of a main from a guild can do a lot of harm to it and the player should consider this before going "Well, you have my alt still!" or something like that. But enough from me...I want to see what others think. So if you do read this, feel free to give your opinions in a comment.

Is it okay to leave a guild with your main with the reasoning that you still have an alt in that guild?
Is it the leaving that's important or the reasons behind the removal of a main?
Is it okay to use a guild to level your alts up to 80 and then move them across to the guild your main is in?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please insert coin or comment to continue.